Khato Civils with South Zambezi and LTE consulting have been appointed by Lepelle Northern Water on an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) basis for the Mopani District Municipality Water and Sanitation Revitalization Programme. The Programme is required to immediately address the short term water and sanitation challenges in the Greater Giyani Local Municipality as well as provide medium and long term solutions to the water and sanitation challenges within the Mopani District Municipality.
- Ba-Phalaborwa Local Municipality
- Maruleng Local Municipality
- Greater Tzaneen Municipality
- Greater Giyani Municipality
- Greater Letaba Municipality
Construction of new package plant in Giyani
The main towns within the district are the Tzaneen, Giyani, Modjadjiskloof, Hoedspruit and Pharaborwa. The Mopani District municipality is situated in the North-eastern part of the Limpopo Province, 70 km from Polokwane (main City of the Limpopo Province).
Bambeni borrow pit
It is bordered in the east by Mozambique, in the north, by Zimbabwe and Vhembe District Municipality, in the south, by Mpumalanga province through Ehlanzeni District Municipality and, to the west, by Capricorn District Municipality and, in the south-west, by Sekhukhune District Municipality. The district has been named Mopani because of abundance of nutritional Mopani worm found in the area. The district spans a total area of 2 242 183 ha (22 421.83km²), with 15 urban areas (towns and townships), 325 villages (rural settlements) and a total of 106 wards.
The Mopani District, by virtue of the Kruger National Park as a District Management Area, is part of the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park, the park that combines South Africa, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.
The Mopani District Municipality Water & Sanitation Revitalization Programme will initially consist of the following projects:
- Giyani Groundwater Augmentation
- Giyani Water Treatment Works Expansion & Refurbishment
- Giyani Wastewater Treatment Works Revitalization
- Nandoni Dam – Nsami Dam Raw Water Bulk Pipeline
- Middle Letaba Dam – Nsami Dam Canal
- Mametja Sekororo Water Treatment Works
- Bambanana Raw Water Bulk Pipeline
Scope of Emergency works in Giyani
In the first phase of the Giyani project, Khato Civils has been appointed to revitalize existing services in and around the greater Giyani area through the repair of all leaking bulk pipelines and replacing all faulty ATR valves. An estimated 345 kilometres of bulk pipelines will be laid. The Company will overhaul existing Boaster Pump-stations and Sewer Pump-stations on the pipeline.
Khato Civils will revitalise all the old plumbing at the Nkhensani Hospital as well as install a new Water Conditioning Plant to purify the hospital borehole water. The Company will rejuvenate the old nonoperational waste water treatment plant by:
- Installing a new head of works
- Repairing the pump-station
- Repairing the BIO Filter
- Fixing the Primary and Secondary primary clarifiers
- Installing a 1500 mega-litre packaged plant
- Revitalising old drying beds as there is a need for new beds and chlorination ponds.